Chorizo and Chicken
Chorizo and Chicken
Fortuna's Sausage & Italian Market Recipes
Chorizo & Chicken
FOR CHICKEN ETC.
- 1 1/2 cup medium grain rice, washed
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 skin-on chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- 1 stick Fortuna's Chorizo
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 3 tbsp Mutti tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken broth
FOR SPICE RUB
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika (found in grocery stores or specialty mkts)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to your liking (optional)
- Place the rice in a deep bowl and cover with water. Soak for 10-15 minutes in water; drain.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices, salt and pepper, to make the spice rub.
- Pat the chicken dry and season with the spice rub, be sure to lift the chicken skins and apply some of the spice rub underneath (this is important for flavor).
- In a 5-quart braiser pan (or deep skillet with a cover), heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the chicken, and brown deeply on both sides over medium-high or high heat. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the green peppers & cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the chorizo. Cook for a few minutes
- Now add the onions, garlic, chopped tomato, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Add the browned chicken back to the pan. Bring to a boil; then lower the heat to medium and cover. Cook undisturbed for 25 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and remove the chicken briefly (set on a dish near the stove for now). Stir the rice into the cooking liquid. Cook for 1-2 minutes uncovered. Now add the chicken back on top of the rice. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for another 20-25 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Turn the heat off, but leave the pan covered and undisturbed for 10 more minutes. Serve hot.
Buy the Products Featured in this Recipe:
You may also enjoy: