Fortuna's Sausage & Italian Market Recipes
Trofiette Pesto alla Genovese
Serves 4 Note: You can add baby shrimp to this too and in Puglia it is very common to add diced potatoes!
- 3 cups of fresh basil leaves
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more for covering)
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Grana Padano
- 2 tablespoons grated Locatelli pecorino
- Kosher salt for pasta pot
- 1 pound of Trofie pasta
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino
- 1/4 cup grated Grana Padano
1. Crush the basil, garlic cloves with salt in a mortar and pestle enough to form a coarse paste. Add the pine nuts and process or crush until there is a bright green paste. Add the grated Grana Padano and pecorino cheeses and pulse in food processor or stir in with a pestle and mortar. The pesto should be thick. Add in the olive oil to loosen. (best not to use food processor but if you need to basil may turn darker in color)
2. Scrape the pesto into a small bowl or container and pour a thin film of olive oil over the top surface to prevent it from discoloring. It can stay at room temperature for a couple of hours before being used.
1. Bring salted water to a boil in the large pot (at least 6 quarts with 1 tablespoon kosher salt). cook until the trofie is al dente & drain
2. Set the large skillet over very low heat, just to warm it quickly add pasta and pesto and remaining cheese and toss to coat completely -Do not over heat or over cook.
3.Place in serving platter top with fresh basil leaves and a few pine nuts. Serve immediately in warm bowls with extra Grana Padano.
Buy the Products Featured in this Recipe:
You may also enjoy: