- 1 piece/ 1 lb Fortuna's Cotechino Sausage, Imported from Italy
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 3 tbs finely chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, fine chopped with whole celery leaves for garnish
- 1 small garlic clove, gently smashed and peeled
- 1 1/2 cups small lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Using Fortuna's,Imported from Italy Cotechino, place in a large pot. Cover with 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to to a low boil and cook for 45 min to an hour.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 5 minutes). Add celery and garlic; cook, stirring (2-3 minutes more).
Add lentils and bay leaf; stir to combine. Add water to cover the lentils by 1 inch. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, and adding more liquid from cotechino, as necessary to keep lentils covered until tender (30-40 minutes or until tender). Remove cotechino and left rest for 5-10 minutes. From Lentils discard garlic and bay leaf.
Spoon lentils into serving bowl, and transfer cotechino sausage to a cutting board to cut bite size pieces. Arrange slices on top of lentils. Serve with crispy Italian bread. Salt & Pepper to taste