Fortuna's Sausage & Italian Market Recipes
Mom's Thanksgiving Sausage Stuffing
Ida Fortuna's Favorite
Melt butter in pan and begin browning sausage, ground beef breaking up as you work.
- 1 pound Fortuna's Sweet Sausage, casing removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3-4 cups chicken or turkey stock more if needed
- 1 large package of herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 teaspoon Poultry seasoning more to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- Giblets and heart chopped into small pieces(you can leave this out if you don't like giblets, but you will lose a layer of flavor)
In a separate pan saute onions and celery with 4 T butter and saute slowly until vegetables are translucent,
Place giblets, neck, heart in sauce pan and cover well with water and simmer for about 30 minutes- save water to use as stock. When done remove giblets, heart and place in a food processor and pulse until fine.
In large mixing bowl add cooked sausage, beef, and remaining oil, then combine giblets, seasonings and celery onion mix and mix well.
Once all ingredients are well blended add dry bread stuffing mixture and blend well with wooden spoon slowly add left over giblet stock and more pre bought chicken or turkey stock- at this point it is best to use your clean hands and mix as if your making meatballs or breads.
Add more stock until stuffing is moist but not soggy. Adjust seasonings to taste. I deep fry my turkey so I butter a covered casserole dish and bake the stuffing for about 1 hour taking the cover off for another 15 minutes to brown at the end. Stuffing can be made a day ahead and bake on Thanksgiving!
Buy the Products Featured in this Recipe:
You may also enjoy: